Supplier Code of Conduct
At PANGAIA, we have strong sustainability and ethical values. We believe in a regenerative society where sustainability runs through the entirety of our business, from our suppliers all the way to our customers. Our Supplier Code of Conduct (SCoC) ensures we only partner with suppliers having achieved a high environmental and social standard. We work in collaboration with all of our partners in order to ensure certifications have been met. This document will continue to evolve as we source new materials, expand our partnerships and respond to changing policies and guidance.
Our Supplier Code of Conduct (SCoC) outlines our commitment to best-in-class industry standards. It outlines our responsibility principles to ensure that, despite cultural and legal differences among countries where we produce or source goods, all of our partners uphold a consistent set of policies and certifications.
We believe that by aligning on core values from the start, we create the foundation for successful long-term relationships to achieve our mutual goals.
Our SCoC is a living document that we update regularly to keep on top of emerging regulation and leading practices. It is based on industry-recognized principles and standards, including the International Labour Organisations conventions, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Standard 100 Oeko Tex, and the ISO Standards.
Our team and commissioned third-party experts use our SCoC to conduct assessments at new and existing facilities. We assess the ethical and sustainability standards of our suppliers against existing international standards. We require all approved subcontractors to uphold our SCoC and conduct selective assessments based on risk.
Our partners need to have reached a certain ethical and environmental standard to work with us. We have zero tolerance requirements that need to be met by suppliers as well as recommendations for their businesses moving forward. The following certification, applicable laws and conditions have to or should be applied by suppliers in order to align themselves with our values and mission.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS
- Must be Transparent: The supplier must be collaborative with Pangaia and provide all the information necessary to determine whether they comply with our SCoC
- Have fulfilled and addressed the Environmental Principles from the UN Global Compact:
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Have taken climate action: The supplier must have demonstrated a strong sustainability standing, pledging to reduce carbon emissions within its operations and have carried out a third party audit in order to ensure Environmental Management Systems and Quality Management Systems are robust and of high standard for the safeguard of our environment. Suppliers within the UK need to have demonstrated a strategy towards achieving Net Zero by 2030 as set out by the government. In order to demonstrate this, suppliers can have completed or be working towards the following measures:
- Carbon offsetting part of their operations
- Have become carbon neutral
- Have been certified with ISO 14001 & 9001
- Have committed to Net Zero by 2030 within their business strategy
- Have taken action over the past year to reduce their carbon emissions through addressing impact hotspots across their business operations
- Have eco-friendly production processes: depending on the nature of the supplies the vendor is producing, they will have ensured they have acquired the right certifications to ensure no harmful chemicals are used throughout the production process, waste is properly disposed of and reduction in resource use implemented where possible. Certifications expected include:
- Standard 100 Oeko Tex
- Global Organic Textile Standard
- Global Recycle Standard
- Forest Stewardship Council
- Organic Content Standard 100
OUR SOCIAL STANDARDS
- Met the International Labour Standards: Suppliers do not participate and encourage forced labour, pay the local legal minimum wage to all staff, have ensured all staff are above the legal working age, have equal remuneration for staff within the same roles and have worked against workplace discrimination. Suppliers have demonstrated their compliance with a third party audit within the last 5 years using services such as the Sedex Ethical Trade Standard.
- Abided to The Universal Declaration of Human Rights: Suppliers must have met this standard in order to protect the fundamental human rights for all people in all nations.
- Have ensured rigorous health & safety for staff: The supplier must provide a safe and healthy working environment for staff that meet applicable laws and regulations. Suppliers do not work employees overtime unless voluntary or compensated with a premium rate. Suppliers must remunerate employees with special rates and benefits according to applicable laws in addition to the local legal minimum wage. Suppliers also recognize the necessity of providing a 24 hour rest day at least once in every seven-day period as well as provide statutory holiday.
- Have actively worked against discrimination within the workplace: The supplier must ensure all employees feel safe and have not been subject to any discrimination whilst at work, during the hiring process, relative to remuneration due to their sex, gender identity, religion, age, disability, illness, pregnancy, sexual orientation, race, political opinion or other protected status. The workplace should be free of sexual, psychological, physical and verbal harassment, abuse or intimidation.
We want to hear from you if you have input or complaints about conditions in our vendors’ factories, or grievances related to human rights in our business activities. Please contact us by email with details, and we will investigate and follow up. Complaints may be anonymous and in any language.
PANGAIA products are only available on www.thepangaia.com. When you buy authentic PANGAIA products, you’re investing in science to protect our Mother Earth.
Read more our commitment to authenticity, here.