Seaweed Fiber

Biobased Fibers

Seaweed Fiber

Biobased Fibers

Our seaweed fiber fabrics are made from a blend of organic cotton yarns and lyocell, embedded with seaweed particles.

Our seaweed fiber fabrics are made from a blend of organic cotton yarns and lyocell, embedded with seaweed particles.

Why we use it

Semi-synthetic fibers are biochemically processed to reconstitute hardwood tree cellulose (a sugar molecule that gives trees their strength) to create a functional, sustainable material. Although chemically identical to natural cellulose (like cotton and linen consist of), this innovative process allows us to harness the renewable properties that trees provide.

Our Seaweed Fiber is made using a patented process that embeds seaweed particles firmly within lyocell fiber.

Lyocell is a fabric that embodies complete circularity, beginning and ending in nature.

Our lyocell is 95% harvested from eucalyptus trees and the remaining 5% from spruce, acacia and beech trees. Eucalyptus grows quickly without irrigation, pesticides or fertilizers, and can be grown on arid land. The lyocell is made through a closed loop production system, using a process that recycles water and reuses up to 99% of the solvent used. This creates very little waste and results in a fiber that biodegrades in water, landfills and composting environments.

Why we use it

Semi-synthetic fibers are biochemically processed to reconstitute hardwood tree cellulose (a sugar molecule that gives trees their strength) to create a functional, sustainable material. Although chemically identical to natural cellulose (like cotton and linen consist of), this innovative process allows us to harness the renewable properties that trees provide.

Our Seaweed Fiber is made using a patented process that embeds seaweed particles firmly within lyocell fiber.

Lyocell is a fabric that embodies complete circularity, beginning and ending in nature.

Our lyocell is 95% harvested from eucalyptus trees and the remaining 5% from spruce, acacia and beech trees. Eucalyptus grows quickly without irrigation, pesticides or fertilizers, and can be grown on arid land. The lyocell is made through a closed loop production system, using a process that recycles water and reuses up to 99% of the solvent used. This creates very little waste and results in a fiber that biodegrades in water, landfills and composting environments.

The benefits of seaweed

Seaweed grows abundantly in its natural habitat, and ours is harvested through a gentle, regenerative and sustainable process, leaving its ecological value retained. Saltwater seaweed is rich in essential substances like vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids and minerals. It’s also soft and offers moisture absorption, too.

The resulting fiber is completely biodegradable, made using methods that save energy and resources.

To make our seaweed innovation available and accessible we created a cotton-blended fabric, but our goal in the future is to offer 100% Seaweed Fiber products.

The benefits of seaweed

Seaweed grows abundantly in its natural habitat, and ours is harvested through a gentle, regenerative and sustainable process, leaving its ecological value retained. Saltwater seaweed is rich in essential substances like vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids and minerals. It’s also soft and offers moisture absorption, too.

The resulting fiber is completely biodegradable, made using methods that save energy and resources.

To make our seaweed innovation available and accessible we created a cotton-blended fabric, but our goal in the future is to offer 100% Seaweed Fiber products.

Watch this space

This is just the start. We’re working on more material innovations, impact initiatives and expanding our product range. Check back for our latest updates.

Last Updated : 17.12.2020